Sunday, June 20, 2004

Chris Sells - "WinFS is a Domain Ontology with Style"

An old post by Chris Sells in which he links to a guy by the name Michael Herman, telling us the following:

Michael Herman caught onto WinFS's real nature last year and I'm just now catching up.
Herman in turn refers us to a Stanford paper titled "Ontology 101: A Guide to Creating Your First Ontology". Here's what Herman has to say about the insights he's obtained from reading the Stanford primer:
This paper has (for me) brought a lot of deeper clarity to what WinFS really is: WinFS is a knowledge repesentation, storage and synch system ...a literal implementation of a system strongly based on ontology related concepts (whether intended by MS or not).
To this I can only say "But of course! What else could it be?" I've read my John Sowa, and it's precisely because I'm aware of the central importance of ontologies to knowledge representation that I find myself bemused whenever I hear someone say that metadata is essentially a solved problem. Nothing could be further from the truth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home