Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Virtuoso and the Semantic Web

Kingsley Idehen talks about Tim Berners-Lee's Semantic Web vision in relation to his own Virtuoso product offering.

As I continue my quest to unravel the thinking and vison behind the "Universal Server" branding of Virtuoso, it always simplifies matters when I come across articles that bring context to this vision.

Tim Berners-Lee provided a keynote at WWW2004 earlier this week, and Paul Ford provided a keynote breakdown from which I have scrapped a poignant excerpt that helps me illuminate Virtuoso's role in the inevitable semantic web.

First off, I see the Semantic Web as a core component of Web 2.x (a minor upgrade of Web 2.0), and I see Virtuoso as a definitive Web 2.0 (and beyond) technology, hence the use today of the branding term "Universal Server". A term that I expect to become a common product moniker in the not too distant future.

The first challenge that confronts the semantic web is the creation of Semantic content. How will the content be created? Ideally, this should come from data, at the end of the day this is a data contextualization process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home